Wednesday, June 18, 2008

B:TAS reviews: I've Got Batman In My Basement

(5/31/09)

There are many angles from which to approach an episode in which every one of the many aspects of production reek of putrid unoriginality. I've Got Batman In My Basement is bad enough to warrant a starting point at one of the less talked about production aspects, that of storyboarding to the beat of the voice actor's drum. Usually bad character animation is chalked up to a bad studio or weak storyboarding, but the facial choppiness and clumsy draftsmanship of Basement is justified in matching the amateur vocal performances.

The voice actors behind child sleuths Sherman and Roberta seem ever aware of the staleness of the lines they speak. Sometimes I can’t tell if certain lines are supposed to be sarcastic, a satirical wink to the audience, or an honest attempt at real dramatic fervor; in my heart however, I suspect the latter. I have no incentive of critically analyzing an episode that warrant all the internet critic cliches of phoned in vocal performances and juvenile story, which is why I'm stopping here. There are awful episodes with ambition that can be passionately dissected, but I've Got Batman In My Basement, not even the worst of the series, is immune to real criticism. Which is why I'm stopping here.

No comments: